What are bed bugs
- Beg bugs progress through five nymphal stages and must feed at least once to develop to the next stage to reproduce. Adults feed every 3 to 5 days throughout their estimated 6 to 12 month life span. A bed bug can live up to a year without feeding.
Recognizing a Bed Bug
- A newly hatched bed bug is flat and has a rusty-red-colored oval body, and are about the size of an apple seed.
- From its appearance Bed bugs are small insects that feed mainly on human blood.
Do You Have Bed Bugs
- Bed Bugs (Cimex lectularius) wreak havoc on its victims’ lives out of proportion to its size. A bed bug infestation creates a level of panic that can turn the average person into an anxious, itching, paranoid and neurotic individual.
Bed Bug Bites
- Bed bug bites produce round, raised, reddish welts and may itch intensely for several days. Less than half of those bitten react, and since bed bug bites resemble those or other blood-feeding insects like mosquitoes and fleas, a definitive diagnosis is difficult.
- Those frequently bitten may develop a sensitivity “syndrome” that can include nervousness, jumpiness and sleeplessness. But it’s the social stigma that weighs most heavily on bed bug victims..
Do You Have A Bed Bug Problem?
Bites, odor, blood or fecal smears are indicators of a bed bug problem. But if you have no reaction to their bites, they may go undetected until you become infested. Bed bugs are easily confused with other insects and even lint by the more paranoid. Inspection is best left to the experts.
Bed Bug History
- Small, wingless insects, bed bugs evolved from bird and bat nests. A persistent human scourge throughout recorded history, widespread use of synthetic insecticides after world War II led to a sharp decline in bed beg populations in most industrialized countries. Virtually non-existent in America by the 1990’s the bed bug is making a Very Big Comeback!
- You can bring bed bugs home by staying in a hotel or home that has a bed bug problem. The eggs can travel, to infest your home, by catching a ride on your suitcase or clothing.
- An equal opportunity bug like fleas, bed bugs are creatures of convenience. A nuisance insect, they do cause great discomfort – both mental and physical.
- They can invade your apartment or condo from air ducts or crawling under the drywall. Bed bugs are a growing global problem and nearing epidemic proportions.
- Bed bugs have been found in laundries, on public transportation, movie theaters, churches, day cares, libraries, summer camps, hostels, furniture, retail stores, restaurants, locker rooms, prisons, fire and police stations, moving vans, day care, and schools.
Let our caring and compassionate team help you organize & de-clutter.